Thursday, July 3, 2008

I'm Proud to Be an American









As I think about July 4th, I instantly think of my dad! That's the cute guy at the top of this blog. He served his country in World War ll and almost died doing so. He was in the Air Force,was shot down and missing for quite some time. I have his journal telling of the ordeal and it is still very difficult for me to read. The flag you see was presented to me at his full military funeral back in September. If you have never been to a military funeral, it is very touching, to say the least. I have his box of medals that he was so very proud of, although I can not fully comprehend what he went through to receive them. He loved to tell his war stories over and over, like so many other men who fought for our country. This is his first July 4th in his Heavenly home with Jesus, and who knows, he may be sitting around telling those stories with his buddies that he last saw when their plane was shot down. I can only imagine!!!


Happy July 4th to all of you and I am so proud to be an American!

6 comments:

Flower said...

Wow...your story brings a tear to my eye. These men are so precious and deserve to be remembered!!
He was very handsome and brave!!

mary said...

Oh, JoCarol, what a touching tribute to your dad and to all who have blessed America with their courage and sacrificial service. You're right - we can only imagine.

molly said...

Our country is like it is today because of Men like our fathers who served their country in such a amazing way. They are truly the Greatesst Generation. We can only strive to be like them!

Nancy @ Ella Elaine said...

He was very handsome! This is a good reminder to keep us grounded to our beliefs of Freedom for this great Country.

Suzanne said...

I, too, am proud and thankful to be an American! And, JoCarol,I'm grateful to your dad for his contribution to the freedoms we enjoy. I am always moved by the fact that those in our military . . . . .AND their loved ones. . . . .sacrifice so much for what so many enjoy. . . . .and too many take for granted. I watch my little students and their families "pay the price" when a loved one is called to duty. It always touches my heart, as does this tribute to your dad.

I love you!

Steph said...

I'm so glad you posted those pictures related to Grampa! It's good to see those things, especially around the 4th!